Call for Applicants: Board of directors
The Ottawa Art Gallery (OAG), a premiere art gallery and cultural destination in the downtown core, is seeking candidates from the Ottawa-Gatineau region to serve on its Board of Directors.
The OAG’s Board of Directors has adopted an inclusive, equity-seeking and anti-racism lens as a central tenet and foundational practice for the OAG and as a main pillar of our Strategic Plan. We welcome members of the community who share our vision to apply and we encourage applications from individuals from the following group(s), as per our commitment to diversity and belonging:
- Indigenous peoples
- Racialized individuals
- LGBTQ2S+ individuals
- Deaf and disability identified
OAG’s Board is committed to creating a supportive environment and providing mentorship opportunities.
Benefits: Join our team of dedicated and ambitious Board members, staff and volunteers – experience the legacy and shape the future of visual arts and culture in the region. Help us tell the story of our community’s evolution through art and contribute in creating a positive vision for our city’s future. You will be shaping a sustainable and innovative institution that is a positive economic contributor for the national capital region and holds a world-class collection of art in trust and in perpetuity for the people of the region.
You will experience:
- A welcoming engagement with art in a cultural destination that you will want to share with friends and family
- A shared sense of pride in the cultural contributions of artists from our region
- A convivial and professional group of Board colleagues and Gallery management who are passionate about the OAG and its leadership in many aspects of the arts in our region and across the country
While not a requirement, preferred candidates should have experience or competencies in some of the following:
- Previous Boards/Governance
- Strategic Planning
- Executive Leadership
- Community Profile
- Risk Management
- Finance and Investments
- Fund Development
- Human Resources
- Information Technology
- Both Official Languages
- Health & Wellness
Term: 3 Years with re-election potential of two additional 3-year terms (maximum 9-year term)
Yearly Commitment: Five Board meetings a year (three hours each) and one Annual General Meeting in addition to serving on at least one committee (committee meetings are 90 minutes to two hours and they meet once before each Board meeting or as required).
How to apply
If you think that you could contribute to the OAG and are inspired by our vision for the arts, we encourage you to apply by submitting an expression of interest (max. 500 words) outlining how your skills and experience can advance the OAG’s mission, as well as a brief biography (max 250 words).
The deadline for applications is Friday April 29th at 5pm and should be submitted as a PDF to email@example.com. Please direct questions to Emma Campbell via email at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: OAG Board of Directors.
Learn more about the OAG’s Board of Directors by visiting our website at https://oaggao.ca/about-us/board-of-directors/.
The Ottawa Art Gallery thanks all applicants for their interest in the position but only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
About OAG’s Board and Your Commitment
Our volunteer Board of Directors is comprised of community leaders who believe art and culture are an essential part of belonging and a building block for the society we want. The Board’s responsibilities include the governance and oversight and monitoring of:
- Strategic plan and organizational performance
- Annual operating and capital budget and results
- Strategic risk management
- Acting as a sounding board and support to the CEO
Board members will be required to:
- Be members in good standing of the Ottawa Art Gallery, when nominated
- Work as part of a team and to respect others; raising challenging questions in a manner that encourages open discussion
- Demonstrate high ethical standards and integrity, act on and remain accountable for Board decisions, meet the accountabilities outlined in the law and in by-laws of the Board, seeing oneself as serving the interest of the Gallery
- Read and understand financial statements and the organization’s financial performance, including the ability to assess the financial impact (whether internal or external) of a decision or circumstance
- Be aware of the impact of organizational issues, policies, and decisions; be capable of being sensitive to diverse perspectives
- Provide wise, thoughtful counsel, analyze and consider various scenarios, understand situations and problems by addressing underlying issues
- Understand the inherent risks in non-profit organizations and integrate the management of risk into the organization’s planning, decision-making, and reporting mechanisms
- See the big picture, ask relevant and probing questions at the strategic level, challenge management’s assumptions when needed, and differentiate between governance and management responsibilities
- Understand and be willing to carry out the duties and responsibilities of a Board of Directors
- Be willing to mentor and/or be mentored by fellow Board members
- Support the vision, mission and values of the OAG
- Where possible, make a personal financial contribution that demonstrates personal commitment and establishes credibility if called upon to ask others to give and recommend individuals or corporations as potential donors
- Devote the time and effort necessary to fully participate in the governance of the organization
- Contribute personal expertise to further the aims of the organization
- Participate fully on Board committees, as assigned
The OAG fully supports the inclusion of persons with disabilities in all of its operations. In accordance with the requirements of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 (AODA) and the Ontario Human Rights Code, the OAG strives to conduct its business in a way that is accessible, inclusive and responsive to the needs of persons with disabilities.
Should you require accommodation during the recruitment process, please do not hesitate to contact Emma Campbell at email@example.com.