Commercial Gallery & Shop Attendant
Closing date: Sunday May 22nd, 11:00pm EST
Part –time position
About the Ottawa Art Gallery
Join our team and play a role in supporting local and regional artists while shaping the future of visual arts and culture in Canada. Help us tell the story of our community’s evolution through art and contribute in creating a positive vision for our city’s future. The Ottawa Art Gallery (OAG) is a premiere art gallery and cultural destination in the downtown core. It is a sustainable and innovative institution that is a positive economic contributor for the national capital region and holds a world-class collection of art.
About OAG Shop
The OAG Shop is the museum’s boutique and dedicated to supporting Canadian art, with a focus on makers and artists from the Ottawa-Gatineau region. The OAG Shop showcases unique and wonderful handmade items including ceramics, textiles, jewellery, books, homewares, art supplies and educational kids crafts. The OAG Shop is connected to Galerie Annexe, a commercial art gallery space.
About Galerie Annexe
Galerie Annexe is a commercial gallery, within the Ottawa Art Gallery, that strives to support, display, sell and rent artwork for regional artists. With over 100 artists represented by Galerie Annexe, our team is dedicated to providing support to the professional development of artists while contextualizing emerging and established artists within the larger structure of a municipal gallery.
About the Role
The OAG is looking for an outgoing and friendly individual for a retail, part-time, customer service position. Reporting to the Commercial Curator, this position involves working shifts in the OAG Shop, greeting and assisting visitors with inquiries and purchases for the OAG Shop as well as Galerie Annexe, the OAG’s commercial gallery space. This positon requires the candidates to be fully onsite.
Hours: approximately 25 – 30hrs/week
(applicants must be available to work evening and weekend shifts, until 9pm and possibly later for special events).
- Customer Service: working assigned shifts in the shop, greeting visitors, answering general questions about the OAG, Arts Court and helping with wayfinding;
- Sales: connect visitors with products and artwork to help achieve the financial projections set for both the OAG Shop and Galerie Annexe;
- Maintain the OAG Shop and Annexe, keeping it clean, presentable and restocked;
- Assist and develop social media marketing strategies;
- Shipment receiving: unpacking shop orders, entering them in Shopify, pricing them and putting them out on display;
- Administrative support: supporting Commercial Curator and the Gallery & Shop Coordinator on daily administrative duties such as producing artist agreements, filing, database updates (Filemaker & Shopify), exhibit labels, helping out with OAG events, monitoring email and phone inquiries, etc… ;
- Help build and maintain artist and clientele relationships;
- Open and close the shop while adhering to proper cash handling policies;
- Artist stories: help manage the collection and production of our ‘artist stories’ for use on the shop screens, social media and in the newsletter;
- Online shop: support the Commercial Curator & Gallery & Shop Coordinator to develop an online gift shop for the OAG Shop. Be responsible for updating the online inventory, managing the weekly wrapping & shipping of sales items, etc…;
- OAG publication distribution: work with Commercial Curator & Gallery & Shop Coordinator to develop a digital OAG Publication catalogue, reach out to independent bookstores and other gallery shops to distribute and sell OAG publications;
- Business & revenue development: outreach and garner clientele for commercial services such as consultations, rentals and sales;
- Flexible schedule: ability to work when required for OAG events or replacing staff who are sick or on vacation;
- Work closely with the Visitor Experience team to create a seamless, inclusive visitor experience which at times may require you support the Visitor Experience department by filling for breaks and/or opening and closing the current exhibitions;
- Be aware of current exhibitions, events and programs in order to provide excellent customer service to visitors;
- Other related duties from time to time as required.
Requirements for the Position
Skills and competencies:
- Excellent people and communication skills;
- Flexible schedule, available to work evenings and weekends;
- Ability to adapt and learn quickly;
- Organization and attention to detail;
- Quick and effective problem solving;
- Ability to work as a team player and independently;
- Ability to think creatively and strategically;
- Ability to meet deadlines and multi task simultaneously.
- Impeccable attendance record;
- Completed or currently enrolled in a post-secondary education in visual arts, art history, museum studies, business or another related field. Experience will be considered in lieu of schooling;
- Must be fully bilingual in English and French (written and oral);
- 3 years’ experience working in customer service;
- Experience with Social Media platforms, specifically Instagram;
- Flexible schedule, available to work evenings, weekends and late night (until 1AM) when required;
- Current certificate in First-Aid, CPR and AED;
- Basic mathematics and financial knowledge;
- Experience with POS systems and cash handling;
- Experience with online stores, preferably Shopify.
How to apply:
Please send a copy of your cover letter and resume to email@example.com to the attention of Stephanie Germano, Commercial Curator, by the closing date. Please be sure to reference the specific job you are interested in applying for in the subject line. We thank all applicants for their interest and only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Ottawa Art Gallery extends a commitment to equity in every aspect of the organization and recognizes that structural inequalities create significant barriers to equal opportunity employment. We strongly encourage applications from equity-seeking communities, from individuals who identify as Indigenous, Black, People of Colour, Persons with Disabilities, and 2SLGBTQQIA+ and/or persons living at intersectionalities.
The OAG fully supports the inclusion of persons with disabilities in all of its operations. In accordance with the requirements of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 (AODA) and the Ontario Human Rights Code, the OAG strives to conduct its business in a way that is accessible, inclusive and responsive to the needs of persons with disabilities.
The OAG is committed to ensuring that employment opportunities are fully accessible to job candidates and employees with disabilities.
Should you require accommodation during the staffing process, please do not hesitate to contact Emma Campbell (firstname.lastname@example.org)