Gallery Educator at the Ottawa Art Gallery
POSTING PERIOD: Ongoing.
Application deadline: Ongoing.
The Ottawa Art Gallery (OAG) is looking to add bilingual Gallery Educators to its team. Join a dynamic work environment at one of the most vital visual arts institutions in Ottawa. The OAG is a cultural meeting place that encourages exploration and reflection on diversity and social change through a spectrum of visual arts practice, focused on but not exclusive to the region in a national and international context.
Reporting to the head of the department, and working in close collaboration with the Public, Educational and Community Programs team, Gallery Educators are responsible for delivering exhibition- and collection-based related tours and workshops at the Ottawa Art Gallery. Gallery Educators are required to engage with school groups and the general public in a professional and friendly manner to the best representation of the Ottawa Art Gallery. Gallery Educators participate in the conception of learning activities at the Gallery, and are responsible for acquiring collection- and exhibition-related knowledge. Learning activities occur at the Gallery as well as offsite. Scope of work will occasionally also include activity planning and materials preparation. Educators will occasionally also be required to facilitate special one-off activities during fundraising and special events.
- Conduct research on artists and/or exhibitions presented at the gallery.
- Research, expand on and adapt an animation method that accounts for the length of the visit and the intended audience.
- Lead interactive tours.
- Facilitate hands-on workshops and make links between the workshop and the techniques or themes of the exhibition.
- The ideal candidate possesses the following qualities, knowledge and experience:
- A university degree in visual arts or other related field.
- Two years’ experience in a museum context dealing with front-line tasks and working with the public or related experience
- Knowledge of art history and contemporary art.
- Familiarity with the OAG collection is an asset.
- Excellent command of French and English.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Ability to be courteous at all times and under all circumstances.
- Be outgoing.
- Be dynamic, proactive and cheerful.
- Be punctual.
WAGE CONDITIONS: Casual, on-call position
$18.00 per hour. Travel from OAG to offsite venue locations will be covered by OAG according to our policy.
Please note that selected candidates will be required to provide a recent and valid police background check from the Ottawa Police Service.
Please send your cover letter and CV to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please reference the position you are applying for in the subject line.
The Ottawa Art Gallery is an equal opportunity employer. We appreciate the interest of all applicants, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.