Visitor Experience & Shop Attendant
Part Time / Shift Work
Application deadline: Ongoing
About the Ottawa Art Gallery
Join our team and play a role in supporting local and regional artists while shaping the future of visual arts and culture in Canada. Help us tell the story of our community’s evolution through art and contribute in creating a positive vision for our city’s future. The Ottawa Art Gallery (OAG) is a premiere art gallery and cultural destination in the downtown core. It is a sustainable and innovative institution that is a positive economic contributor for the national capital region and holds a world-class collection of art.
About the Role
The Ottawa Art Gallery (OAG) is looking for outgoing and friendly individuals for part-time customer service positions. Reporting to the Visitor Experience and Enterprise Manager, this part-time position involves working shifts at the Visitor Experience desk and the OAG Shop to assist visitors with inquiries, purchases, and help with events. Applicants must be available to work 15 – 25hrs a week, which includes weekends and late night evening shifts.
- Maintain a friendly, welcoming and safe space for all staff and visitors
- Remaining current with all programs and events related to the OAG, Arts Court and other adjacent organizations
- Help visitors with general inquiries in a positive and professional manner
- Sell products, memberships and artwork at both the Visitor Services counter and in the OAG Shop
- Support with internal and external events by assisting with set up, customer relations and take down
- Maintain and update files, POS system and database
- Opening and closing of the OAG Shop as well as other current exhibitions and related public spaces
- Processing payments for services requested, in accordance with proper cash handling policy and procedures
- Follow proper procedures related to bookings and facility rentals
- Process tour and workshop requests
- Help build public and gallery relationships
- Other related duties from time to time as required
- Displays initiative, reliability and flexibility
- Can work under pressure
- Able to work independently
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize tasks as needed
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills combined with excellent customer service
- Completion of grade 11
- Must be fully bilingual in English and French (written and oral)
- Minimum 1 year experience working in customer service position
- Flexible schedule, available to work evenings, weekends and late night (possibly until 3AM) when required
- Current certificate in Standard First-Aid, CPR and AED
How to apply:
Please send a copy of your cover letter and resume to email@example.com to the attention of Kendall Nichols, Visitor Experience and Enterprise Manager, by the closing date. Please be sure to reference the specific job you are interested in applying for in the subject line. We thank all applicants for their interest and only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Ottawa Art Gallery extends a commitment to equity in every aspect of the organization and recognizes that structural inequalities create significant barriers to equal opportunity employment. We strongly encourage applications from equity-seeking communities, from individuals who identify as Indigenous, Black, People of Colour, Persons with Disabilities, and 2SLGBTQ+ and/or persons living at intersectionalities.
The OAG fully supports the inclusion of persons with disabilities in all of its operations. In accordance with the requirements of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 (AODA) and the Ontario Human Rights Code, the OAG strives to conduct its business in a way that is accessible, inclusive and responsive to the needs of persons with disabilities.
The OAG is committed to ensuring that employment opportunities are fully accessible to job candidates and employees with disabilities.
Should you require accommodation during the staffing process, please do not hesitate to contact Zoë MacNeil (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Due to the ongoing COVID19 pandemic, be assured that all personal protective measures will be taken to conduct job interviews in a safe manner. OAG will work with individual selected candidates to ascertain the safest and most effective way to conduct each interview, including options such as in-person using distancing and masks or via Zoom.